douglasvgibbs.com News

News regarding the writer, Douglas V. Gibbs

Wednesday, April 18, 2007

The End of an Era

Been a while since I posted here. It's not that there hasn't been any news, just none that I felt was worthy of this page.

Now, something has come up.

Two years ago I was very healthy. Played basketball with my friends, golfed often, and participated in a five mile running race through mud and obstacles.

Now, I am a medical mess. My joints have stiffened, my muscles have lost their flexibility, I've had two hernias (one hole in the muscle tissue of my abdomen was 9cm X 14cm), a ring of tissue in my esophagus restricts my swallowing capacity, I have bowel discomfort, cysts, bulging discs, and a volcano in my stomach that erupts constantly. Now, it is getting to the point that it is becoming difficult to work, and type. But my writing is still moving full-speed ahead, despite the difficulty.

The good news is that my wife will be graduating from the university with a Bachelors Degree in two months, and her goal is to bring me home. Then, with my being able to write full-time, my goal will be to bring her home.

So far, it's been tough, but persistence is the name of the game.