douglasvgibbs.com News

News regarding the writer, Douglas V. Gibbs

Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Opportunities

It's amazing how sometimes, when we least expect it, good things happen.

Reminds me of the saying, "The Lord Works in Mysterious Ways."

I got home early from work, but when I got home, though my wife wanted to leave immediately for a Valentine's Day dinner, I needed the time to shower and shave.

And after we parked our truck in the parking lot and approached our favorite Italian Food restaurant in Temecula, California, a woman with a video camera approached me, and asked me my opinion about some issues that have risen regarding the mall in Temecula.

It turned out that she is a writer for one of the local newspapers, and is doing a story about the mall. After she received my full name (I'm figuring I am going to be mentioned in the newspaper), I had a convesation with her about writing, of which I began by saying, "I wish I wrote for the paper."

I have always hoped to try my hand at journalism, but always reasoned that without a bachelor's degree, I would not have a chance. Besides, with the need to work to take care of my family, I haven't had the time. This woman from the paper said she doesn't have a degree. She began as a free lancer, and now has asked me to e-mail her with my questions.
My wife, on verge of gaining her own degree, has the goal of bringing me home so that I have the time to write full-time. That should happen in the next few months.

Is this an opportunity for me to take advantage of?

Yes, if it is in the Lord's will.