douglasvgibbs.com News

News regarding the writer, Douglas V. Gibbs

Wednesday, July 12, 2006

And the rejections from literary agents keep rolling in - but wait, what about the small press publishers?

Two more rejections came in by mail, and one more by e-mail. That makes 70 rejections out of my goal of 100 for the year.

And as I was thinking about these rejections the other night I got to thinking about my brush with the small press last year. I submitted short stories to a number of small press magazines with negative results, and though I have lists of small press book publishers, I never have thought about submitting to them. Why? Many new writers get their start that way.

So I browsed.

And I came across a publisher that only accepts political satire.

I write a political blog called Political Pistachio (HERE is the link if you care to check it out) and the name of the blog is satirical in its own right. Could I write a book like that?

I have had an idea for a while about a group of people not happy with whatever's going on deciding to overthrow the government through electoral means just for the kicks of it. Could I turn that into a novel - and add a dash of satire to it to boot? Absolutely. Chapter One was born last night. The name? Political Pistachio, of course. Remember, like pistachios, politics are nuts, but not technically.